Advertise for Free
Advertise for Free

Mercedes-Benz 170S Cabriolet 1951

General description : Mercedes-Benz has been a manufacturing powerhouse for over a century, and during World War II, its factories were highly valuable targets for Allied bombers. Many of their manufacturing and design facilities were heavily damaged, but despite this, the company was quick to resume automobile production after the war. The first post-war cars were the W136 170 V sedans which traced their roots back to the late 1930’s. These bread-and-butter sedans served as solid, reliable transportation in the austere post-war years and became popular with taxi and delivery drivers. But as Europe recovered and production of the 170 V increased, so too did demand for more luxurious and special models. To meet this demand, the 170 S was introduced. The first special-class car to be built by Mercedes-Benz after the War; the 170 S had a more powerful engine than the 170 V, as well as improved front suspension, revised styling and a more luxurious and spacious cabin. Power came from an uprated version of the 1.7 liter inline four-cylinder engine, producing 53 horsepower and 82 ft-lbs or torque. The 170 S was offered as a handsome saloon, full four-seat Cabriolet B and sporty Cabriolet A. Open cars were meticulously hand-built at Mercedes’ Sindelfingen Carrosserie, where they were luxuriously trimmed with leather and wood. While Mercedes was still many years away from officially designating “S-Class” as its flagship range, many feel that the 170 S is its spiritual predecessor. With the 170 S, Mercedes-Benz had marked its return to the top of the luxury motorcar market.

This outstanding 1951 170 S is from the final year of production, one of just a handful sold that year with the highly desirable Cabriolet A coachwork by Sindelfingen. A gorgeous car from top to bottom, it has been treated to a concours-quality restoration with meticulous attention to detail. Copies of the original build sheets and documents show this car was ordered in July of 1951. Upon its completion, it was dispatched from the Sindelfingen Werk, bound for Zurich Switzerland. Swiss import documents dated March 28th 1952 show it was delivered to Herr Ernst Benz. Not long after, the Mercedes was purchased in Switzerland by an American Army officer, and it eventually made its way to the United States. In about the mid-1960s, it was purchased by Richard A. Carlson of Coatesville, Pennsylvania who kept it for approximately 20 years. The next owner was Mr. Walter Progner who purchased the car in 1984, and is the man who eventually embarked on a multi-year restoration to return this fine motor to its former glory.

These early post-war Mercedes-Benz automobiles are extremely difficult and costly to restore properly, and as such, we seldom see them given the treatment they deserve. Thankfully, Mr. Progner was a passionate enthusiast who lavished the little Mercedes with tremendous care. As the restoration commenced, the chassis and mechanicals were entrusted to Gerhardt Reinhard, proprietor of a small shop in Pennsylvania that specializes in classic Mercedes-Benz automobiles. Mr. Reinhard was himself an employee of the Sindelfingen Werk during the time this car was built – making it entirely possible he had a hand in its original construction and its restoration! Concurrently, the body and interior were restored over a three year period by Barry Stalnecker of Annville, PA, while the extensive brightwork was restored to concours standards by Martin’s of Philadelphia.

The results of the restoration speak for themselves. Paintwork has been restored to the original shade of maroon (DB 513), and is beautifully applied showing straight, clean reflections and glassy-smooth surfacing. As part of the restoration, the body was removed from the chassis, jigged and disassembled. These are notoriously difficult to align properly, and the restorers did an exemplary job refitting the panels. The rear-hinged doors fit very well, with even gaps and the signature solid-hewn feel that is unmistakable Mercedes-Benz. Fitment of the extensive chrome trim is excellent, and even upon close inspection, reveals virtually flawless finishing. Interesting details include the semaphore turn signals, and the flush fit tail lamps. Most 170s had bullet-type tail lights, but this being a late production example; it features the flush-mounted units that were carried over into the later 220 S and 300 S models.

Of course, the signature of the 170 S was the luxuriously trimmed interior. Again, using the build sheet as a reference, this car was restored using natural tan leather supplied by a German restoration specialist. The material is exquisite and unmarked, expertly fitted to the frames. The folding, occasional rear seats are also trimmed in the same high quality leather, as are the door cards and even the fascia of the dash. Caramel-colored carpets tie in beautifully with the natural leather, again very nicely executed, in excellent condition and in factory correct materials. Leaving no screw unturned, the restorers returned the wood, which adorned the dash, door caps and cockpit surround, to its original natural finish. Interior chrome fittings are beautiful, and the dash is equipped with its correct VDO instrumentation and a most wonderful, original Telefunken Radio. The fully-lined cabriolet top features large chrome landau bars and is trimmed in correct tan German Sonnendeck canvas.

The trunk is detailed with a correct spare wheel, original tool roll and jack as well as a 2 piece set of fitted luggage, held in situ with leather straps. Beneath the bonnet, the engine is well detailed, showing only the lightest signs of use, but remaining in very clean and tidy condition. Despite its modest horsepower and pre-war era roots, the engine is a strong and eager unit, delivering performance that is brisk and enjoyable. Road manners are excellent, as this car has received some recent servicing and sorting. The history is very well documented with copies of the rare original build sheet, early customs documents, and extensive restoration records. Original service manuals, parts books and instruction books are included as is an original dealer brochure and show records. Shown multiple times at the world famous AACA Eastern Fall Meet, best known as "Hershey", this fabulous car was awarded an AACA Senior award in 2009, and an AACA Preservation award in 2012. It has also been shown on the lawn of the prestigious Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance in 2013.

This superb Mercedes-Benz 170 S has been cherished by its previous owners, and the quality of the restoration speaks to its importance in the collector world. Just over 800 units of the 170 S Cab A were produced between 1948 and 1951, and this is one of the last of last Mercedes to be truly hand-built in the historic Sindelfingen works; a very special and highly desirable motorcar from Mercedes’ golden era.

1951 Mercedes-Benz 170S Cabriolet is listed for sale on ClassicDigest in St. Louis by Hyman Ltd. for $169500.

 

Car Facts

Car type : Car Make : Mercedes-Benz Model : 170S Model Version : Cabriolet Engine size : 0.0 Model Year : 1951 Sub type : Convertible Location : Missouri Vehicle Registration : Undefined

169500 $

Seller Information

Hyman Ltd.
Hyman Ltd.
314-524-6000
Contact Seller

ClassicDigest Market Radar on Mercedes-Benz 170S

$ £

People who viewed this Mercedes-Benz 170S also viewed similar Mercedes-Benz listed at ClassicDigest

Mercedes-Benz 170S
46500 €
Hainholzweg 1 Germany 21376 Gödenstorf-Lübberstedt
Mercedes-Benz 170S
Hainholzweg 1 Germany 21376 Gödenstorf-Lübberstedt
Mercedes-Benz 170S
Hainholzweg 1 Germany 21376 Gödenstorf-Lübberstedt
Mercedes-Benz 170S
149000 €
Königsbrücker Straße 96 D-01099 Dresden, Germany
Mercedes-Benz 170S
107500 $
Astoria

Other cars listed for sale by this dealer

Willys Jeep
49500$
Missouri
Packard Six (1937-49)
44950$
Missouri
Packard Twin Six
289500$
Missouri
Ford Woody
49500$
Missouri
Chevrolet Fleetmaster
69500$
Missouri
About Mercedes-Benz
In 1886 Karl Benz built Benz Patent Motorwagen widely regarded as the first automobile. Little did he know this was to be the beginning of the world's most renown premium car manufacturer. -Mind you the venture was financed by his wife Bertha Benz.

Not too far Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft founded by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach, started marketing their car in 1901 using now famous name:  Mercedes (Spanish for godsend), which was chosen after their distributor Emil Jellinek's daughter.

To make a long story short, Daimler merged in 1926 with Benz & Cie., becoming Daimler-Benz and adopting Mercedes-Benz as its automobile trademark

Although deemed by some conservative the truth is actually quite the opposite, Daimler-Benz history is filled with 'firsts': Honeycomb radiator, float carburetor,   four wheel brakes 1924, (although Duesenburg Model A was reported to be sporting them as early as 1922), first diesel powered passenger car in 1936, the Mercedes-Benz 260 D,  first direct fuel injection in the Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing (well not really as tiny 2-stroke Gutbrod actually had the first direct fuel injection) )  front and rear crumple zones ie. safety cell by Béla Barényi patented in 1951 and introduced in “Ponton”-models , Anti-Lock Brake system (ABS) was first offered on the W116 450SEL 6.9, first production airbags...and the list goes on.

During its 100+ years Mercedes has produced more than a fair share of iconic cars; SSKL , 710 SSK Trossi Roadster, 770K Grosser, 540K Spezial Roadster, 300SL Gullwing, w100 600 Pullman, w111 280SE 3.5 Flachkühler, w113 230SL Pagoda, w109 300 SEL 6.3, w201 2.3-16 Cosworth to name just a few.

One should not forget the famous Silver Arrows (Silberpfeile) either: W 25, W 125, w154, w165, w196 all of which were more than capable of trashing their opponents on the track.